News

Miami Heat, Nikola Jovic agree on 4-year extension, AP source says

FILE - Miami Heat forward Nikola Jovic dribbles during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, Feb. 12, 2025, in Oklahoma City. Photo: Associated Press/(AP Photo/Nate Billings, File)


By TIM REYNOLDS AP Basketball Writer
MIAMI (AP) — The Miami Heat and forward Nikola Jovic have agreed on the framework of a four-year, $62.4 million extension, a person with knowledge of the talks said Wednesday night.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the contract has not been signed.
It’s a significant commitment by the Heat to Jovic, who averaged 5.5 points as a rookie, 7.7 points in his second season and then 10.7 points last season. Jovic is coming off a strong summer working with the Serbian national team, and the Heat expect that his role is going to continue to grow this season.
“He’s becoming more mature, more professional,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said earlier this week at media day, when asked about Jovic and how his time with the Serbian team has helped in recent summers. “And if you’re hanging out with players much older than you, it just naturally happens. I’ve seen growth from him over three years because of that standard that they’ve had in that program.”
The Heat and Jovic had until Oct. 20 to work out an extension. Otherwise, the 6-foot-10 Jovic — the No. 27 pick by Miami in the 2022 draft — would have been a restricted free agent next summer.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA

Recent Headlines

3 days ago in Entertainment, Sports

Taylor Swift rumors spiked ticket sales for Pebble Beach golf tournament

Pebble Beach had an extra buzz Friday morning with rumors swirling in the cool Pacific breeze Swift would be there to watch her fiancé, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, playing in the PGA Tour event that combines corporate CEOs and celebrities with golf's best.

3 days ago in Entertainment

After 800 episodes, ‘The Simpsons’ creators look back — and ahead

Eight hundred episodes, 37 seasons, and one four-fingered family that refuses to age. As "The Simpsons" hits a milestone few series have ever glimpsed this weekend, the architects behind Springfield are reflecting on the choices that turned crude 1987 shorts from "The Tracey Ullman Show" into a cultural juggernaut.

4 days ago in Entertainment

From The Swamp To The Stage: Walter Parks Brings The Unlawful Assembly To Keene

Walter Parks and Unlawful Assembly

Walter Parks brings The Unlawful Assembly to Keene on Feb. 27, blending spirituals, swamp hollers and American roots music in a powerful live performance.

4 days ago in Entertainment

Actor Blake Lively and director Justin Baldoni go to New York in required effort to avoid trial

Actor Blake Lively and director Justin Baldoni came to a New York courthouse on Wednesday to see if her lawsuit alleging sexual harassment on the set of the 2024 romantic drama "It Ends With Us" could be settled before a May trial.

4 days ago in Sports, Trending

Seahawks enjoy morning beers, praise ‘best team in the world’ as Seattle celebrates Super Bowl title

Ernest Jones IV dropped a few choice words while praising his defensive teammates, his offensive line, his quarterback and the city of Seattle ahead of the Seahawks' Super Bowl victory parade on Wednesday.